UWA Medical Physics Blog

Career Profile of a Medical Physics Registrar

Today we profile Dr Mahsheed Sabet, who writes about her career in medical physics and her experience as a Medical Physics Registrar at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital.

I have recently joined the Training, Education and Accreditation Program (TEAP) for Radiation Oncology Medical Physicists. With a BSc in Applied Physics, an MSc and a PhD in Medical Physics and many years of relevant work experience, I was no stranger to the field. However, entering TEAP is the only way to go for becoming an accredited clinical Medical Physicist in Australia.

Most of the training program is focused on deep understanding of principles and learning how to use them in practice. Medical physicists ensure patient safety while delivering high dose radiotherapy treatments. They must be familiar with different treatment techniques, keep updated with modern technologies, and be able to understand the effect of different variables on a treatment outcome.

The best thing to always have in mind for a medical physicist is that every small step can make a difference to the life of a patient suffering cancer.

I would highly recommend physics graduates to consider Medical Physics as an option for their future career. The job makes you think, it is exciting and sometimes challenging.






  • Dirac1992 says:

    Hello, I’m very interested in pursuing my masters in medical physics at the UWA.
    However, being an international student, I don’t know if the TEAP program is open for non citizens/PR. Do you know where I can check this information?


    • uwamedicalphysics says:

      Hi There,
      In most cases it is a requirement to have PR/Citizenship. But there may rarely be exceptions.
      You can check with the ACPSEM, or contact the advertisers on a case by case basis.
      You can find examples in the following address:
      Medical Physics Jobs

  • Wendy says:

    To be a medical physics, does it only require a bachelor in physics and two years masters

    • uwamedicalphysics says:

      Hi Wendy,
      If your question is about being able to work as a clinical Medical Physicist right after graduation, the answer is No.
      After your masters you need to be trained at hospitals to get enough clinical experience.
      This training is a job. Takes a few years and you will get paid.
      You will sit exams and will be certified. Then you can work in the clinic.

  • Aarthi says:

    Hi .. I am a professional with master’s degree in medical engg and physics from London looking for this TEAP training program. I want to become a part of this program. can you please help me about how to look for openings

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *